Week 5 Story: The Beast's Fate

There once was a man who had a son. He loved his son very much for it was his only child. This man once walked in the park with his young son and a mysterious old man came up to them the man and said: " I have seen  your son's future and I am here to tell you that your son is fated to be torn into pieces by a beast."
At first, the man could not believe this, how could someone say something like this? He did not believe in fortune telling but the old man words resounded in his head. As the days went on the words of his son's fate only grew louder and louder. As he watched his young boy, the most precious gift in his life he became frightened.  " I must protect him no matter what" the man thought to himself holding his little boy tightly in his arms.
From that day on the man vowed to never let his son leave the house and he would have everything he ever needed there. The man wealthy, so he hired tutors for his son to learn and not miss his education.  Every day the boy had a set schedule from early morning to his early set bedtime. The boy grew older and the father grew more frightened as the boy grew more independent.
The boy now 16 knew his father loved him and only wanted to protect him. He thought to himself “maybe what he doesn’t know won’t hurt him.”
The boy then decided that night he would skip his early bedtime and just step outside. A moment of just watching the sky couldn’t hurt anyone. He knew there was going to be a full moon and he was amazed by the sky and all that’s within it. It was supposed to be a beautiful night to examine the stars just like he had seen in his books. He knew every constellation by heart. He knew that the pictures in his books surely do not do the real thing justice.
He sneakily stepped out the back door and walked not too far from his house finding the absolute perfect spot to watch the night sky. He couldn’t believe himself the stars were beautiful. He was amazed by the outside world’s nature. The full moon itself looked so bright and beautiful as if it came out in all its glory just for him. He said out loud with a big sigh “wow, I could die happy now”. A few moments passed and he sadly knew he had to go back to his house before he pushed his luck. As he came close to his house, he heard something and before he could turn around, it was too late.
The father woke up early in the morning as per usual and went to the bathroom and when he looked in the mirror, he saw he was covered in blood completely. His mouth tasted like iron and his hands had dried blood on them. He ran to his son’s bedroom and he was nowhere to be found. He then found blood on the floor and followed it to the back door. He opened the door and there was his son in pieces. He held what he could of his poor boy and as he held him tight he sobbed. Flashbacks came to his head. He then remembered that the cause of this misfortune was him. He became a wolf-like beast last night and did this. He couldn’t believe he was the one who did this and that he couldn’t protect his son from his fate.
Authors note:I read the story The Story of the Wolf-Bride from the Persian tales which is the story about fate and how you cannot escape fate. I ended up not having a bride that did the misfortunate deed but the father himself who was trying to escape his son's fate. I also gave more perspective on how the son felt being locked away because in the original story it didn’t really talk about that. 

Bibliography: This story is part of the Persian Tales unit. Story source: Persian Tales, translated by D.L.R. Lorimer and E.O. Lorimer and illustrated by Hilda Roberts (1919).

wolf man


Comments

  1. I really enjoyed this story! It kept me on my seat and wanting to read more! I really liked the twist about his dad being the beast! I wonder what the ending it would be lie if the man who cursed him would show back up. What if the boy had a sibling and they had to live through all of this and we read about her point of view! Overall I really like this story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Emily! Great story, I really liked this take on the original plot. It gives the same theme of fate being uncontrollable, but instead of a husband-wife, it shows the love of a father for his son. (This next part is part of my assignment so sorry for this but..) Let's pretend I'm the father-wolf character: I feel like I want my own backstory told more. Was this wolf transformation a one-time thing or is this a curse that I have (potentially from the same mysterious old man that told my son's fate)? I feel like this would be a huge part of me and it wasn't mentioned or even hinted at previously in the story. I know the original source doesn't do this either, but I feel like it would make my character more understandable!

    Ok anyway great story!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Em's Introduction

Week 7:Tar Baby Wins