Topic Research: El Salvador Legends

I have decided to focus on the topic of El Salvador Legends! My idea for this project is to have a paranormal Investigator go to different parts of El Salvador and search for the most infamous legends known to El Salvador. I would like the layout to be just the recordings of each encounter of these legends.  I have organized the layout as such:


INTRODUCTION
Introducing the protagonist and the plans of finding the legends in El Salvador which is full of different entities to pursue. I would also take this as the opportunity to mention the legends that are in pursuit and their background story or origin story.

 While searching for information about these legends I realized that many of these characters show their appearance to men or children so I thought of an alternate way to go about the layout. Another option is to have two children to wander the night and are lead to the countryside somehow. As they get further in the woods they encounter each of these spirits losing themselves more and more in the land unknown to them. As the introduction, I would like to set it as one of the children to be older telling his/ her grandchildren of these encounters that happened to him/her. Him/her explaining where these entities originated would also be included in the introduction.



most of the background information can be found here: El Salvador Legends


Among

First Encounter

La Llorona
This Legend I remember very well from my childhood as it scared me greatly. When I went to El Salvador I made a friend who told me of this Lady who cries at night searching for her two children that she drowned. I remember at the time I was 8 and was scared to wander alone for that very reason.  She is a young woman who is hurt by her husband's incessant infidelity.  Despite his betrayal towards her, he loved his children that he had with her very much and she saw that. Feeling no love from her husband and in an act of blind rage, she drowned her two children. Realizing what she did she drowns herself but is not accepted into heaven for her actions and is cursed to stay and search for her two children and their forgiveness. She roams the land searching for children she can call her own and takes them to replace the ones she killed.


 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Llorona

 Second Encounter 
La siguanaba y El cipitio

I decided to put these two stories together because their actual origins are intertwined. I haven't decided yet how I will tie them together but I know that somehow there will be a connection there in my story.

The story goes that La Siguanaba herself was a peasant girl who by using her charm and witchcraft made her way to being queen by marrying the son of Tlaloc. When her husband was away at war she would cheat on him and become pregnant with the child of her lover. Tlaloc who was the God of the rain punished her by cursing her and her son. She seduces men by appearing as this beautiful young woman and lures them deep into the countryside or canyons. Once they are lured she appears in this horrible form, her true appearance, and if they do not die of fright then they are driven insane by the sight of her. She also is looking for her son wandering the countryside.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sihuanaba

El Cipitio
He is the illegitimate child of La Siguanaba and her lover. He is cursed to be a child for eternity. Although he does not harm many people he likes to trick them often throwing rocks at pretty girls. Truly he is just a spirit that likes to annoy and cause trouble. Legend says that he wears a big hat and his feet are backward so that when he runs away no one can trace him. He also has the power to appear and reappear anywhere. With this character I want it to be similar to my dads encounter with him. My father says he encountered him when he was a kid with his sister. El cipitio persuaded them to follow and play with him. As they did he lured them and told him to continue to follow him. He tells them to follow him deep to the edge of a cliff and told them to do as he did then he jumped off the cliff. My dad said that it seemed like he had the intention of having them jump off the cliff to their demise but they didn't listen to him so they ran home frightened by the child because when they looked over the cliff there was no sight of anyone; he disappeared completely. 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cipitio


Third Encoutner

El Cadejo 
 The final charcters are two wolf like creatures one black and one white. They both in a way symbolize good and bad. The black one symbolizes the bad and hunts for lone wanders and tries to steal their soul. The white one is the good one that protects those who are alone from evil especially children. Some say they have even seen these two fights. The origin of these two is said to be that the fortune gods saw the struggles of man and decided to create a protector for them which is the white Cadejo and seeing this the devil in a jealous rage created the black one.

I chose this one because I want to incorporate the white Cadejo into the story as a silent protector for the protagonist in all its encounters and they realize that this creature has been helping them the whole time when it comes to the final face down against the black cadejo. I think at this point I am leaning towards the protagonist being young children.



 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadejo


El Cadejo



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Em's Introduction

Week 7:Tar Baby Wins