Reading Notes: odyssey , Part B


 his story is part of the Odyssey . Story source: Homer's Odyssey, translated into English by Tony Kline. (2004).


The Spirit of Achilles
We were there conversing words of sadness, grieving, and our eyes filled with tears. The son of Achilles then appeared and following him was the appearance of Patroclus, Antilochus, and Ajax. The ghost of Achilles recognized me and talked through the tears. " Odysseus of many resources, scion of Zeus, son of Laertes, what are you think to come to the home of Hades where there is nothing about but sadness and death.

I responded to him " Achilles the greatest warrior among the Achaeans. I came to speak to Teiresias to see if he would show me to the path to Ithica. I have not set foot on my own land and have continued to endure endless trials. No man has lived a life as great as yours or ever will, we Agrives see you as a god while you were among the living and now you rule among the dead. Do not be sadden then by your own death Achilles.
Achilles then answered" Do not try to console me over my won death. I would rather be a poor man serving a lord and be alive than to be a lord among the dead. Please tell me about my son. Did he follow my footsteps become a war leader? Tell me what you know of my son Peleus. Is he stilled honored among the Myrmidons? If Only I could return to my father's house for just one hour and I would protect him.
In truth, I speak that Peleus remains faultless.I myself brought him fro Sycros. When we debated our plans before Troy he spoke and said. We fought on the plains of Troy and he never stood or was behind in the crowded ranks but always in the lead showing his great skill. Many men died at his hand. Us the leaders climbed into the horse that Epeius made and I was the one to decide when to open or close the hatch He begged me to let him out and seeing his sword and spear on the Trojans. When he sacked Priams high city he took ship with his share of the spoils and prizes without a wound on his body.
Achilles hearing this went away proudly walking hearing of the news of his legacy; his great son. 


Achilles 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Em's Introduction

Week 7:Tar Baby Wins